Chris Brogan‘s blog is full of great stuff on social media. He has just published a list of 12 ways you can sell social media to your boss. Here’s the first six as a taster:
- Social media tools like blogging, social networks, and social bookmarking are more effective in reaching the millions online than a traditional website.
- Blogging can act as a way to reduce customer service calls (if there’s helpful how-to information on the blog).
- Cost of implementing a blog is free or cheap. No more than $100 for a year of hosting. And most software is free. (There are some benefits from professional blogging software, but for most people, free is plenty fine).
- Social networks are now used frequently by your customers, your prospects, and your competitors. Connect with people, learn their business needs, and respond more simply and flexibly.
- Social media provides robust tools for listening, ranging in price from free to inexpensive, to reasonably expensive. Even the free tools help an organization find out who’s talking about them, so they can choose to respond.
- First steps can be simple, like establishing a blogger relations process to go along with your press relations process. You might find bloggers who will want updates on your space, and even this is a good first step.
Head over to Chris’ blog to read the rest, and remember to hit the subscribe button while you are over there.
4 thoughts on “Selling social media”
This is great Dave, will add Chris to my google reader.
All I need now is a list of ways to dissuade people who have chosen the tools before they’ve thought about what they’re actually trying to do…. !
Good work – Chris’ blog is full of useful morsals.
Ah yes, the “I want one!” brigade. You need a digital enabler to come in and sort them out!
Digital enabler – is that the term you’ve settled on? I like it!
Thanks. Blog post on the way to explain it a little more…