Data Orchard have identified 5 stages of data maturity, each of which describe the extent to which an organisation uses data to improve the way it works. The stages are: unaware, emerging, learning, developing and mastering.
In this half hour or so, we discuss important topics such as:
- why using data is a cultural, not a technology issue
- what some of the technology barriers can be
- what steps needs to be taken for an organisation wanting to be data mature
- the state of open data in the UK
- why bats are interesting in a data sense, much more so than newts
Ben mentions are few projects and things during the conversations, here they are for your convenience:
- All about data maturity and some recent findings from research on data maturity in the non-profit sector
- Citizens Advice and its data trends
- National Wikimedian for Wales
- A cool tool built by Jean-Baptiste Robertson which links openstreetmap.cymru, Wikidata and and Wikipedia and is so awesome thanks, in part, to the efforts of the National Library of Wales
- The natterjack toad
If audio is your preferred medium, then you can find this on Soundcloud too.