Edelman have published an interesting white paper on what lessons can be learnt from Obama’s use of the social web in his campaign. It’s worth a read.
Here’s the headline list of learning points:
- Start early
- Build to scale
- Innovate where necessary; do everything incrementally better
- Make it easy to find, forward and act
- Pick where you want to play
- Channel online enthusiasm into specific, targeted activities that further the campaign’s goals
- Integrate online advocacy into every element of the campaign
This seems to tie in rather nicely with some of the messages I have been banging on about of late, including the emphasis on prototyping, ‘worse is better’, etc.