For an internal bit of work at Learning Pool, I was asked to contribute to a list of things that would need to be a part of the role description for a community manager – a position we might be recruiting for in the near future.
I quickly threw together a list and emailed it round, but then thought it might be something worth sharing here.
So here’s my list – this is in no particular order. What would you add?
- Network well online – either have or be able to build reach and influence online
- Has established online presence and regular use of online communities in either personal or professional capacity
- Ability to think strategically about the needs of the community, and of the products they support, and design the development of the community around those needs
- Draw up appropriate community guidelines and ensure adherence to them
- Encourage new members to join the community
- Write high quality, engaging online content
- Spread the reach of the community using a range of social tools
- Provide regular updates to community members through regular email newsletters etc
- Know and understand the community – be able to identify which members would be interested in, or have answers to, certain issues
- Good mediation skills and ability to defuse online arguments and tensions
- Ability to moderate content and manage difficult members an promoting good behaviour
- Has a good understanding of the technology and culture of the net
- Ability to measure and track analytics and membership stats and develop strategies to improve them
- Ability to identify technological improvements that would improve user experience and make the community useful for the company
- Proactive approach to interacting with the community – this is not a 9-5 Mon-Fri job
- Knowledge of the rest of the organisation and the ability to identify the people who need to be involved in responding to issues
- Good knowledge of the issues involved in the community and the ability to respond to topics in a knowledgeable fashion
- Ability to find and share useful related content to the community from elsewhere on the web
- Ability to identify key community members, and work with them to help promote and manage the community