I am trying to come up with a short, snappy list of things that a blog has to have if it is going to have any chance of being successful. I want to limit it to five. So far, I have come up with:
- Authenticity – your voice has to be genuine
- Regularity – you don’t have to post three times a day, but a regular flow of new content is vital
- Responsive – respond to comments, and what’s going on outside your blog
- Integration – it’s not just the blog, it’s flickr, del.icio.us, youtube, twitter etc etc
- Identity – The blog is the author’s space on the web – make sure it represents you well
I am not sure if 1 and 5 are repeating themselves. Has anyone got any comments or suggestions on how this list can be improved?
2 thoughts on “5 things every blog needs”
Depends how you qualify ‘success’, but I’d certainly add longevity to that list. It’s going to take months, maybe even years of consistent effort to get proper recognition for your efforts. And I don’t just mean Google ranking or traffic; I mean serious personal credibility.
Good one Simon. Will replace identity with longevity. Brilliant, thanks.