Here’s Hugh Flouch!
- Hyperlocal communities
- Harringay Online – 2,900 members, 4-500 visits a day, 2-300 visitors a day
- Has discussion forum, event promotion, information about public services, photo gallery and local history archive
- ‘a bible of local information and gossip’ – BBC news
- ‘the biggest residents’ association in the borough’ – a local cllr
- It’s also a peer support group
- Is translating into on the ground impact. Campaigns eg on betting shops and transport issues.
- Events are organised by the community, meetups, festivals and parties
- Next move is into co-production. During the snow, the site was used to organise action on snow clearing
- Now doing research into London’s ‘digital neighbourhoods’
- Using local sites results in meeting new neighbours and a greater sense of belonging
- Also increases likelihood of contacting politicians or local council officers
- Also results in improved perception of local politicians etc
One thought on “Local by Social: Networked Neighbourhoods”