Nicely put by Gerry McGovern:
Over the years I have been struck by how awfully designed internal systems are. Most internal tools I come across are more like instruments of torture than the drivers of efficiency they are supposed to be. What is even more shocking is that nobody in management cares. There is an almost total lack of leadership.
Gerry McGovern has been writing an excellent trio of posts on the topic of government and the web. He has identified five things that government should be addressing:
- Get away from a technology obsession
- Manage customer top tasks, not government websites
- Get politicians off government websites
- Stop government vanity publishing
- Develop a government archive
He expands on each of these things in the three posts. Recommended and thought-provoking reading.